Tuesday 25 November 2014

It's for the Birds!!

Well, I have been travelling around southern Australia for the past two weeks - driven over 2000 kls. We headed to the north of our state (Tasmania) and then caught the car ferry across the dreaded Bass Strait - home of many shipwrecks! We went onto the boat at 5.00 pm approx on a Sunday night, and drove off the boat in Melbourne at about 6.30 the next morning.

We headed to Geelong (Victoria) and then across the south-western part of Victoria to Portland. We were visiting a good friend there. My Husband and he go back over 60 years of friendship. 
This is what greeted us!

Funny man!

After visiting with him for several days we headed north-east, through Bendigo and Wadonga (stayed a night in each) and then to Canberra, the Capital city of Australia! It also happens to be where our son and his family live. We spent 6 night there, celebrating the 9th birthday of our Grandson while we were there. We had a lovely visit - great company, food and interesting things to do!

An exhibition at the National Art Gallery was one. 
From Canberra with a stop over at Wangaratta for a night, we arrived back in Melbourne for a few days with Hubby's family - we stayed with his sister, and after visiting other family and friends, and getting in some shopping we came home via the same ferry!
I did get in a class while I was in South Blackburn - at the Bellbird Paper Arts shop!

I made these: it was a Distressed Christmas class


The purpose of this post was to show you how I made the bird box for the Unstampabelles final week. 

I firstly drew up the pyramid box bsed on a 3 x 3 cm square base
I allowed some extra for the side seams

I scored the bits to be folded, and then cut it all out

Each side had a triangle with a flap and I added red tape


I stuffed it with Mentos!

I free-hand drew some wings and a tail, and some legs and added them


Hello birdy! Eyes and beak ( a bit too big I think)

Now I am thinking I can make it a Christmas bird, or an elf! 
So a box can be any shape really!
Why not go to Unstampabelles and enter - there is still time - it closes on Friday at Midnight!




1 comment:

frommycraftroom said...

What an amazing trip. I am sure you enjoyed every minute of it.
Great bird. Look forward to seeing the elf.