Wednesday 23 July 2014

Bag it and Tag it! That's the Dragonflies!

Crafting with Dragonflies are having a Bag and Tag challenge # 31 


Sami stamps are the sponsors, and the prize is a $12 voucher to spend in the shop.




We are making our bags from scratch, and mine is called a Goody Bag, and is made using a template from Papermania given to me for my birthday last year by my friend Glenda. She doesn't understand my attraction to paper but feeds my habit anyway!


I put my template over a sheet of 12 x 12 paper and also over a sheet of 12 x 12 blue bazzil card, and using a pencil, traced the necessary lines to make the Goody Bag. That meant I had the ability to add DP to the front and back of my bag simple by cutting out the correct panels, rather than trying to measure and cut, which I am a bit rubbish at, I must say.  


Once I had the shape and had cut it out, I folded my various fold lines, and cut the ones I needed to cut, and added red tape to the flap to close it up.


The base is a bit tricky, but if you persevere you can get the flaps to fit properly and hold. 


I actually cut and stick a small piece of card to the inside bottom to secure the base further.


Once I had cut out (and trimmed up) my DP I stuck that onto the front and back also.


The sides fold in towards the top, and there is a flap that goes over and is supposed to tuck under a small cut, but it actually doesn't do it very well, so I usually use something else to hold it, depending on what I am using the goodie bag for......in this case, a pair of knitted booties for a friend's new grandson. (No, I didn't knit them - got them from the CWA shop!)


So, I used a sparkly blue peg I had - it just happened to be laying around from some other challenge (lol) - and I also threaded some blue ribbon through the front and back through the flap to tie over the peg in a bow. It looks like the baby is being held up by the peg also. The image was supplied by our Sponsor Sami Stamps, and after printing it off onto the XPress Blending card, I coloured it with my Copic pens.  I actually printed two copies, one slightly larger than the other and coloured them up also at the same time so that they matched!


I then made a small (3.5 x 5.5 inches) gift card to go with the bag - so that is my tag. I mounted the image for the bag onto some matching card and fussy cut around it, but I just fussy cut the second smaller image and then ran a Copic pen around the edges to create the illusion of being mounted. 


The DP is from an old set of 12 x 12 papers bought from Big W about a 100 years ago. 


A bit of ribbon on my tag to tie to the bag!


When I was colouring the image up I realised that the baby was probably meant to be a girl as she had a butterfly clip in her hair,so I turned it into a butterfly, as I had already coloured everything up blue at that stage! I added the antenna and the body to make it more like an insect than a hair clip!!

So, lets all have a go at a bag and matching tag, and if you are looking for inspiration on where to locate your bag template or instructions, go no further than the blogs of the DT, who all have included where they found their bag from and where you can find it too. Mine as I said, is from Papermania, and I think it is not that expensive to purchased the thin plastic template. Your local craft store may have it! If you look on the net, there are millions of free templates too. See you over at Crafting with Dragonflies.

Great prize to be won, and who doesn't need bags and tags for those little gifts - especially heading to the second half of the year and thinking more about Christmas! 

I will enter these at the following challenges:
Party Time Tuesdays: Anything Goes - closes 29th July
Through the Craft Room Door: Anything Goes - closes 30th
Craft My Life: Anything but a card - it's a bag and tag set! Closes -
Marker Pop Blog: Blue - coloured with Copics - closes 3rd August (?)




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.
What a great friend to feed your need.
Thanks for reminding me where I got that paper - not quite 100 years ago!

NanaConnie said...

Oh, what a delightful way to 'wrap' as baby gift, Susan! Love the dp with all the stars. I'm so happy to see you playing along at Through the Craft Room Door this week. Good luck and hope to see you again next week.
NanaConnie DT

Unknown said...

What a creative box! =)

I have featured your card on the Stami Stamps Blog and Facebook page. =)

http://samistamp.blogspot.com/2014/07/crafting-with-dragonflies-sponsorship.html
https://www.facebook.com/SamiStamps?ref_type=bookmark

Wynn said...

I love this Susan. That image is adorable.....again your colouring puts mine to shame.....pet hate at the mo lol x I liked how you outlined the image too .....great idea. Hugs Wynn x

Sammy said...

Great tutorial Susan! Such an adorable set too :-) x

happyglitzygirl said...

A beautiful set, and great tutorial, love all of it, blessings Hilde