Sunday 23 September 2012

Wet or Dry Embossing?

Or perhaps both?  That is what I have used on this card - I did it for Unstampabelles Monthly challenge on embossing, where you cannot use stamps.  I thought dry embossing is obvious here, but you can use wet embossing as well, as long as you don't actually stamp! I now am the proud owner of a Tim Holtz Versamark dauber, but I didn't use that for this technique as I also have an SU Versamark pen and an ordinary Versamark ink pad.

This is how I did it:

I had gotten this booklet of templates as a freebie with a magazine several years ago but had not really used it much - so I got it out and use the cat.  I positioned the template over the white card scrap and swiped the Versamark ink pad over the shape.  After carefully lifting the template off, I filled in  any sections not clear with the Versamark pen - SU have one that has a brush end like their markers so it is easy to use in this situation.


I then sprinkled it with my ebony Embossing powder - from the Creative Stamp Collection. The powder comes in bags and I transferred it to this little glass jam jar to keep. Once I applied the powder I heated it up and it got that lovely sparkle.

 I thought I did a good job of the shape but decided to fussy cut it out anyway and put it onto a piece of card that I had run through a Tim Holtz embossing folder of cracked ice/glass which I had torn the edges of to create a distressed look.  I should have rubbed ink on it at this stage but didn't.


 I used a piece of SU Designer paper behind it from a set called Howlstooth and Scaringbone - isn't that a delicious name? All of that was then put onto a black card base. I used some sticker to create the sentiment.



After adding the spider and the web (stickers)  I took it outside to photograph in the Spring sun and got this lovely sparkle going!


I will enter this in Through the Craftroom Door again. 

5 comments:

A Consuming Passion said...

GReat!!!!!

Deonna B said...

What a terrific Spooktacular Card! Great idea by using the template and embossing. Thanks for sharing at Through The Craftroom Door this week.

Merry said...

That is a clever idea using your stencils Susan....really like everything about this card.

Anonymous said...

Very effective. I have some stencil things like this - different shapes - I hardly use. Might have just inspired me. Thanks.

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

Such a neat idea and it turned out great! Love the sparkle on the cat!