Saturday 26 March 2011

Turning 98

Second Post for Day:

I made a card for a challenge - had it in my mind for a while, and started full of enthusiasm but when I came to put it together I fiddled and fiddled - not happy with it at all. Still, it's done. I will enter it for The Sweet Stop sketch challenge #101 and Lets Ink it Up - diecuts and punches.  I tried to use a die cut I had of a sun shape, but it looked so strange I gave it away and punched out a circle for the sketch with my SU Scalloped Punch.


I had a different panel as well but had to ditch it as the image did not show up well against it, so ended up going with the plain green background.  The card and SP and ink is all Stampin'Up (Melon Mambo, Pink Pirouette) except I stamped the image in Memento Tuxedo Black and used the Copics to colour it, and then the Stickles to add some sparked.  The text is embossed using Holographic EP for extra sparkle also.  The stamp and the image are from Lili of the Valley Ltd - the girl is called Dandelion Clock and the sentiment is from Dreamy Days.  The ribbon is the new SU baubles ribbon in Melon Mambo. 

First Post:

My MIL has turned 97 (Christmas Eve last year) and she is currently in rehabilitation hospital - no, not for an addiction, she is recovering from septicaemia - one tough lady. She has a friend at the Lodge, where she lives normally and he turned 98 yesterday. Cyril is a real card - he is so funny and so fit and so alert mentally. I made him a birthday card.



Both the sentiment and the image are from I Brake for Stamps, the DP is the packing from a Verve stamp set, and the frame and sentiment are scrap pieces from the scrap pile.  The three brads are Kaiser.  The card is a piece of SU card Taken with Teal and I used Memento black and SU TwT inks. Inside the card suggests that 98 years of living means he has a lot of horrible warnings to impart!!!  I read it to MIL over the phone last night, and described the image - she roared laughing.  I wanted to check it wasn't too cheeky but she assured me he would love it. Fingers crossed.

4 comments:

A Consuming Passion said...

Hi Susan,
your first card is just adorable!!! Love these little stamps too!
Now you introduced me to I Brake For Stamps and I love these 'seniors' images just plain fun!!!!
Hope all's well with you!

Fliss said...

Love both the cards Susan. Your first one is so pretty and the second very amusing.
Thanks for joining in with LIIU die cuts/punches challenge and good luck!
x

Unknown said...

Oh wow Susan, that birthday card is hilarious!! It's so beautifully made! Isn't it just great to know that someone this age will still appreciate such a humorous card? Have a lovely weekend, Ira

Claire said...

Both beautiful cards, I love the delicate colours of the first one and the sentiment on the second one is great, it really made me giggle. Thanks for joining us at LIIU and good luck
Claire xx